International Women's Day is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. This year, it falls on Thursday, the 8th of March 2023 and there are plenty of events happening all over Singapore to commemorate the day!
We've put together a comprehensive guide to all the events happening in Singapore this International Women's Day. Whether you're looking for an event to commemorate the day or to learn more about women's issues, we've got you covered!
What Is the History of International Women's Day?
International Women's Day is a day that celebrates the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. It's also a day for rallying for greater gender equality. The day has been observed since the early 1900s, and it's grown in popularity every year since.
In 2023, International Women's Day falls on Thursday, 8th March. Several events are happening in Singapore to commemorate and celebrate the day.
What Are the Themes for International Women's Day 2023?
The theme for International Women's Day 2023 is "Embrace Equity" This is all about creating a more gender-balanced world, both in the workplace and at home. It's about recognizing that when women have a voice and a chance to be equal participants, everyone benefits.
This year's celebrations will also focus on the empowerment of women and girls, as well as on celebrating progress made so far. So if you're looking to get involved in International Women's Day this year, there are lots of events and activities to choose from.
How Can We Celebrate International Women's Day in Singapore?
This year, International Women's Day falls on Thursday, 8 March. In Singapore, several events and activities are being organized to celebrate the day. Here are some of them:
• The Junior Chamber of Commerce is organizing a breakfast event called "Power Breakfast: Women in Leadership" on Thursday, 8 March. The keynote speaker is Ms. Serene Cheong, Co-founder, and CEO of Love Olivia. The event will be held from 7.30 am to 9 am at the Folio Singapore, Level 10, One Marina Boulevard. Tickets can be purchased online.
• The Association of Women for Action and Research (AWARE) is hosting a luncheon talk on the same day, from 12 pm to 2 pm at the Mandarin Orchard Singapore. The speaker is Ms. Priyanka Mitra, Co-founder of She Talks Asia. Tickets can be purchased online or at the door.
• The Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is organizing a panel discussion on "Women in STEAM" on Tuesday, 6 March from 3 pm to 4 pm at the NTU School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering Auditorium (S3-03-15). The panelists are Ms. Belinda Teo, Co-founder and Chief Creative Officer of Obby; Dr. Yeo Khai Loon, Group Director for Physical Sciences at A*STAR; and Prof. Chan Hsien Loong, Deputy President (Research and Technology) and Provost at NTU. Admission is free but registration is required.
Many other events are being organized to celebrate International Women's Day in Singapore this year. So take your pick and join in the celebrations! Just remember to wear your protective KN95 mask Singapore or KF94 mask Singapore during these events to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
What Events Can I Attend to Celebrate International Women's Day in Singapore?
So, what are some events that you can attend to celebrate International Women's Day in Singapore in 2023? The month of March is chock-full of fun and uplifting festivities—so much so, that it can be hard to decide which ones to go to!
Firstly, don’t miss the iconic IWD Parade which will be held across the country. This event celebrates women’s successes and encourages further progress, in the spirit of respect and collaboration. You’ll also find plenty of IWD morning runs and walks throughout March that promotes physical activity and empowerment.
The city will also be hosting several talks, showcases, exhibitions, and workshops that explore the challenges faced by women in Singapore. They range from subjects like workplace equality to self-care—all designed to bring attention to important issues.
Finally, for something a bit different this year, there will be a Women's Day Music Festival celebrating the achievements of female composers and performers from around the world. This is surely an event not to be missed!
How Can I Make a Positive Impact on International Women's Day 2023 and Beyond?
Apart from attending these events, there are plenty of other ways to get involved in the fight for gender equality. One way is to educate yourself and your loved ones on the issue. There is a lot of misinformation out there about gender inequality, and knowledge is power. Research and read up on how you can become a better ally, with actions like believing survivors when they speak out against injustice, standing up for what’s right even when it’s difficult to do so, and positively using your voice by speaking up against sexism.
You can also choose to support organizations working towards gender equality such as Women’s Aid Organization or AWARE Singapore. Donate what you can, volunteer your time, and share your work across your social media networks! Every little bit helps and with each person that is educated, we move one step closer to true gender equality.
What Are Some Ideas to Get Involved in International Women's Day 2023 in Singapore?
You can celebrate International Women's Day 2023 in Singapore by participating in any of the many events and activities that will be happening throughout the city. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Attend one of the workshops on topics such as self-care, leadership, and financial literacy: There are many workshops planned throughout Singapore that will focus on helping women become empowered and confident.
- Join a panel discussion or talk: Take advantage of the inspiring dialog happening around this important day and join in, exchanging ideas and learning from each other’s experiences.
- Attend a rally or march: Gather with other women to show solidarity and make your voice heard through peaceful protests. There will be plenty of these around the city. Don't forget your surgical mask Singapore when you are joining this rally or march.
- Support local businesses run by women: Show your support for local female entrepreneurs by shopping at their stores or restaurants.
No matter how you decide to celebrate International Women’s Day 2023 in Singapore, make sure to spread awareness about the importance of celebrating strong, powerful women everywhere!
So this is just a small taste of what's in store for International Women's Day 2023. We hope that you will join us in celebrating the progress made by women, and the work that still needs to be done to achieve gender parity. Let's work together to make IWD 2023 the most memorable and empowering celebration yet!
Follow Wistech Health Newsroom on Wistech Instagram to check the latest news weekly!